Winter is here! As we discussed in a previous blog that debunked a few housing market myths; winter is actually a great opportunity to buy or sell your house. This time of year provides less competition with a typical decrease in inventory, and more time to research or prepare for their next move. Here are a few simple tips, proven to be effective for selling or buying a home during these colder temperatures.
TIPS TO BUY – Stick to Your Budget
- Find a REALTOR® you can trust. This term is more than just a trademark, it is protected by federal law and distinguishes professionals who are members of the National Association of REALTORS®.
- Research homes for sale in the neighborhood you are interested in, checkout nearby schools, find commute times, and other preferences that matter to you within the community you seek to live.
- Consider inspection features that might not reveal problems in the winter and discuss a security deposit with the seller for protection in other seasons.
- Request repairs be made if there are broken or overused features.
- Speak with a tax expert regarding deductions and credit options you may have.
TIPS TO SELL – Develop a “Mood”
- Create a clear path to the entry way that is safe.
- Prepare fresh baked goods, cider, or hot cocoa as a welcome gesture.
- Light the fire and play some soft relaxing music.
- Be careful with scents so they don’t overwhelm a room.
- Have photographs that show your home during other seasons.
- Look into having your home “staged” to show its full potential.
The biggest thing to remember is that you don’t want to regret this life changing transaction. Take your time, do your research, speak with professionals, and don’t assume anything! If you are looking for a REALTOR®, we have an array of talented professionals with the right credentials, eager to assist you in your personal journey.
Published: January 17, 2022
By: Faith Malloy